Monday, March 15, 2010

Almost there...

March 15
Leaving for Nome

I agonized all night why it took Bruce so long to get to Unalakleet? Well, he was four miles from the checkpoint and from the GPS blip – it looked he was stuck on the river. Either there is story behind it, or the GPS was not functioning correctly (I am hoping for the later). Needless to say, it was a late night on my end and I should have been sleeping while the kids were, but I choose to watch the blip – stuck for an hour.

The good news, he made it to Unalakleet, which is the last long run on the Yukon. Once a musher gets here, they pretty much either scratch or get to Nome. I am hoping for Nome of course. The kids and I are packed and leaving for Anchorage today as our flight is tomorrow. I have my own work cut out for me as it is the first time I will be traveling with two little kids. Thankfully, I have Brenda, our guardian angel coming to fly with me to Nome and then lost of happy missionaries who will help with Brody and Shea.

My female intuition tells me Bruce is going to push himself and the dogs to the end. He has the goal of beating his personal best of course, but I know his competitive nature will come out as well. He will want to finish as best he can with this incredible team of dogs. Maya, our beloved lead dog, has run EVERY step of the way in all four Iditarod races. She is an amazing dog – I gave her a special pep talk before Bruce left this year and she is keeping her promise to me without a doubt.

I forgot to mention his insulin froze on the trail… the night of the -55 degree temps. Wondering if that is why he felt so miserable that night – I am sure it did not help the situation. Which reminds me, I need to pick up another vile to bring to Nome!

I might be hearing from him before he leaves Unalakleet – this is a larger town with communication. More to come later if I do.

Happy trails,
Melissa

2 comments:

Sara said...

Hi Author
I really appreciate you for all the valuable information that you are providing us through your blog.
Outdoor Dog Kennel

Anonymous said...

Awesome workout! Loved the view at the top, not many flowers out yet. My dog and one person in our group did get ticks, so check yourself. And watch for poison oak, it is all over the place! dog Trailers