Monday, November 24, 2008

From the oceans to the mountains...

A lot has changed around here recently. We have completed our beach runs for the year since the snow has began to fall! We don't have a lot of snow, but enough to park the ATVs for the year and jump on the sleds. This is always a joyous time to say the least. It is also a time of year where we try and suppress the dog's enthusiasm. I'll tell you, those three hour beach runs really got my pups into shape! We have been trying all week to slow the dogs down and tire them out, but it has been a challenge. They just have so much energy and power for so early in the season. I have never experienced this before. It is additionally satisfying to see because this is my first season where dogs that I raised from birth are on my race team. To see them so happy and content and strong when they run with the race veterans really makes me feel good.

Yesterday we took three ten dog teams up into the Caribou Hills. It was absolutely beautiful up there. The dogs pulled us from near sea level to 1,500 to 2,000 feet and the views were just incredible. The dogs ran for almost 6 hours and loped most of the way! It is unusual for us to do such long runs this time of year, but the dogs didn't seem to get tired during shorter runs earlier in the week so we let them run longer since they looked so strong. I am obviously very pleased with their performance and it shows that all of our earlier training has paid off. Now we must be careful not to over do it. Slow and steady is the name of the game so we don't burn them out and cause a lot of injuries.

I unfortunately forgot my camera so I don't have any pictures for this post. However, we plan to do our first camping trip with the dogs over Thanksgiving weekend and I'll make sure to bring the camera along. We certainty have a lot to be thankful up here where we are. I hope, where ever you live, that you feel the same. Until next time, I'll be mushing on insulin!

Bruce

No comments: